GIS constitutes the framework for gathering, managing, analyzing and presenting data.
It enables the analysis of spatial or location-based information and organizes layers of information into visualizations using maps. Geography and the application of Geographical Information Systems or GIS is cross-cutting. It’s application spans virtually all aspects of human existence and human activity.
This is a practical, hands-on training during which some time may dedicated dealing with essential theoretical concepts related to spatial data analysis. By the end of this training, you will:
- Have a greater clarity of basic spatial data concepts and data types;
- Carry out practical spatial data analysis tasks using commercial or freely available software applications (notably ESRI’s ArcMap and Quantum GIS respectively);
- Learn about the kind of questions that are answered through spatial analysis and mapping;
- Learn where to obtain spatial data and datasets to get you going;
- Analyze spatial data using common spreadsheet software and Quantum GIS;
- Integrate and process raster and vector data using Quantum GIS;
- Demonstrate your expertise by working on a real-life humanitarian or development outreach related spatial data analysis project in a selected sector;
- Have capacity to analyze spatial data for your own projects using powerful GIS analysis and mapping tools.
Take advantage of our training packages
Offered to teams of 2-25 learners.
You may also apply to take the training as an individual. We tailor GIS training for specific sectors and operational environments. These may include:
- GIS for Health
- GIS for Education
- GIS for Recovery and Development Outreach Mapping
- GIS for Water
- Sanitation and Hygiene, Protection
- Nutrition, the Environment
- GIS in Banking and Finance
- GIS in the Justice, Law and Order Sector
- GIS in Ethnic Mapping, GIS in the Mapping of Population Movements, and much more.
The GIS Analysis, Mapping course is ideal for:
- Development/Outreach Analysts
- Academics and Researchers
- Population Analysts
- Service Availability/Accessibility Analysts
- Individuals who work, or aim to work with spatial data
Our GIS Analysis and Mapping training program also includes Mapping and Spatial Data Analysis, GIS in Monitoring and Evaluation.Inquire about this course